Juliette's Reviews > Wishful Drinking

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, memoirs
Read in March, 2012

2 and a half stars. Man, I sure wish Goodreads would get a half star rating system in place! Anyway, this book has the best cover. A slumped over Princess Leia with an empty martini glass and a pile of pills. This slim memoir with an abnormally large font took me about two hours to read. It is interesting, and sort of funny, but it's just lacking in details! Carrie Fisher, daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, shares some of her life story. Hollywood upbringing, her parents, their divorce, and remarriages...Fisher's own marriages and divorces, etc. However, she admits to being an alcoholic, an addict, and being bi-polar without sharing a single story about being drunk, high, or manic. I found this to be really odd. She makes mention of LSD use, using "dope", and about marrying quickly, but that's about it. She never really shares how she fell into addiction or how she even got there in the first place. I know this book is based on her one woman show, and would bet that her show is more effective in displaying her experiences. On to her second memoir, which I see has a noticeably smaller font. Hopefully more details will follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishful Drinking.