Amy's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

F_50x66
Mar 10, 12

This was a really fun read. I read Tina Fey's Bossypants, and this has the similar style of humor and anecdotes, but I have to say I enjoyed this book a bit more. Just like Fey's book, I loved that Kaling included pictures that weren't the most flattering to Hollywood standards. I think the picture of her on the back cover of the book is the best.

It wasn't trying too hard, and I got a kick out of her stories growing up in a Indian family, and I appreciated that she talks about just being truly her-- not trying to lose weight to meet model size; loving writing and comedy even if it wasn't so cool in high school; not always being the easiest to work but learning humility and going back to work despite an embarrassing exit. And I especially enjoyed the fact that she talks about how one night stands aren't something she wants. Often, it comes across as you're odd if you haven't even had a one night stand, but I admire her talking about safety risks and just voicing the factual things one should be thinking about before heading off to a strangers house in a bold BUT at the same time doing so in a non-preachy, light hearted, completely funny way.

I like how she doesn't seem to take herself too seriously-- which I would think would be an easy thing to do in the entertainment field especially.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.