Winny Lee's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: finished-within-a-week
Read from March 11 to 16, 2012

Currently writing this with an extremely wet face.

I won't be reviewing any more books on Goodreads, as I have died. My heart has broken and been stitched back together in the space of about twenty minutes but I couldn't make it because this book is so wonderful and pleasurable to read, that I've gone to heaven.

Okay, so just kidding. But I genuinely have no words (for once) to properly convey how this book has made me feel. It is just so bloody brilliant that if you're on the fence about starting the Chaos Walking trilogy or Monsters of Men, I'd urge you to immediately buy/rent/borrow/steal (joking) this book and read it.

I can't even describe how many emotions I felt for the characters. So wonderfully developed that I'd like to give a virtual standing ovation to Ness.

The Mayor: Is it weird I pitied him from the bottom of my heart? Was that supposed to happen?

Todd & Viola: it is so rare that I find characters I actually care about and Monsters of men have brought them to me. They are perfect. Also, I applaud Ness for writing such a great love story without any of the usual romance descriptions. You could just tell they loved each other and you have to stop and think back to when you realised this, it's truly been since the beginning of Book 1! Ugh, flawless.

Wilf: I am beyond happy that people listened :-)

I did not want this trilogy to end :-( But now that it has, I can only be thankful that Goodreads directed me to such a fabulous and beautiful story.

Please, do yourself a favour, and pick up this trilogy/book,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

03/11/2012 page 121
20.0% "I love that this book needs no warm up, it starts right where Book 2 left off, which if you've read it, you'll know it's pretty intense and smack bang in the thick of things. Other first thoughts include how weird it is to read in the point of view of a Spackle."
03/14/2012 page 483
80.0% "OH. MY. GOD"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista What's the trilogy about? Your review has intrigued me :)

message 2: by Winny (last edited Mar 19, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Winny Lee This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but I'm really terrible at explaining book plots so therefore I'm going to refer you to the synopsis on Goodreads:

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

Even if that sounds a bit naff to you from the plot, please pick up this book. Honestly, it is BRILLIANT. I can't quite promise you that you won't regret it, but it's a massive chance you'll love it just like the thousands of other reviewers. It's written uniquely and the suspense can kill a person! There are hundreds of plot twists in the trilogy, and I didn't predict a single one of them which I'm usually okay at doing! I hope you decide to pick them up :-)