Cornmaven's Reviews > Between Here and Forever

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: high-school
Read in March, 2012

The premise of this novel is that people (including you) are not always who you think they/you are, and that it is much better to acknowledge and accept who you are than to live a lie. I appreciated Abby's journey to discovering this basic truth, but I had a hard time following the dialogue. I felt that, in an effort to portray teen conversations accurately, with all of their stops, starts, and unfinished sentences, she made it hard for readers to follow the story. Plus, the tension that I expected to feel throughout, as the story was building to the big reveal (opening her sister's laptop's files and realizing what earlier conversations and moments really meant), just was not there. It got really tense in the last quarter of the story, and I wanted it to be there the whole time.

I like Eli's character a lot, and wished there were more scenes at his elitist school. I didn't like the way he revealed his OCD - it kind of felt too forced and fake. If the kid was living with this all his life, I think he would not have blurted it out like he did. Just my perspective. I really really liked Clement's character.

A good story, made difficult with the dialogue format. My favorite line: "I'm tired of mine being all about her." That's a great description of someone living her life in someone else's shadow.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and Forever.