Laura's Reviews > Prodigal Summer

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Aug 04, 2008

bookshelves: reread, owned, xx2012xx, favorites
Read from January 05 to July 29, 2012

Lots of different subplots that eventually intertwine, includes a love story too. She writes very lyrically, you'll want to savor this one. Nature / animal lovers will appreciate this one too. Something for everyone, this one is probably in my all time top 10 or 15 list.

2nd reading: This is not a book to read but a book to feel. It's a book you feel the truth and the rightness of, down deep in your gut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Summer.

01/05/2012 page 2
01/06/2012 page 30
7.0% "So glad to be revisiting this treasure!"
07/15/2012 page 75
17.0% "A sensory explosion....uplifting, yet wistful" 5 comments
07/22/2012 page 135
30.0% 2 comments
02/29/2016 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Beth F. I have a copy of this on my book shelf just waiting for me to get to it. I love Barbara Kingsolver, I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Laura You're going to love it, Beth! I don't usually buy fiction, but I have a feeling you'll be glad you own this one.

Fiona I'm going to start this tonight. Too excited to turn to the first page yet.

*jabs with a hot poker to get on and read Bleak House*

Marialyce Love this book as well. Barbara K is a fabulous author INHO.

Laura She is Marialyce!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This sits on my shelf nearby waiting to be read. I am attracted to the idea of this book because it has a reputation for being great nature writing and eco-conscious, which I am very much into. If I read it, it will be my first Kingsolver, though Animal, Vegetable, Mineral also sounds good.

Laura Wow, well if you're looking for great nature writing with an ecological focus, this may be your book, Steve. As long as a bit of romance thrown in won't put you off. Her writing is wonderful, and she has a background in biology, so you'll learn a few things, too. Definitely a worthwhile read.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Wow, well if you're looking for great nature writing with an ecological focus, this may be your book, Steve. As long as a bit of romance thrown in won't put you off. Her writing is wonderful, a..."

Great, thanks. No, I have nothing against romance (or love for that matter) LOL. I do hope to read this year, I'll keep you posted. :)

Laura Haha! Excellent, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a very strong environmentalist pull myself, and I think that's why this book moved me so much. I'll look forward to your thoughts!

Jackie Knight My first and only Barbara Kingsolver book but I loved it! it had a little bit of everything in it i read it several yrs ago but still remember most of the characters.I will for sure read some of her other books but they all seem to be vastly different.

Laura They really are very different. I hated Poisonwood and loved this. I always love her writing though.

Desiree Cox @Laura, you are right one, it's a book you feel!

Laura Thanks, Desiree! :))

sumrwind cherico so true just wonderful story keeper for sure

Laura Thanks, Denise! It's a soul book, for sure.

sumrwind cherico YVW enjoyed your review

Laura Thank you. A book likes this makes any review easy, I think, because you're just brimming with emotion. I appreciate the compliment very much.