Sierra Abrams's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

May 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, 15-and-up, fairy-tale-retellings, fiction, huh, mysteries, mythology, young-adult, reviewed, pint-size-review, series-finished
Read from April 21 to 24, 2012, read count: 1

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter (#1)
Pages: 293
Release Date: April 19th, 2011
Date Read: 2012, April 21st-24th
Received: Own
Rating: 3/5 stars
Recommended to: 15+

SUMMARY -
Kate Winters doesn't want to be here. Seeing Eden Manor, living in a house in the town her mom grew up... All to send her mother off. To let her mother die of cancer that's eating away at her. Now she has to make friends at school, because her mom wants her to move on, be happy. There's James, the sweet guy, who seems to care a lot about her. And then there's not-so-friendly Ava and her boyfriend Dylan. But when a terrible accident occurs and a young life is lost, a mysterious man appears, offering to give the life back if only Kate will live with him through fall and winter, every year - forever. Pulled into a series of tests she must pass - or die - Kate must rethink everything she thought was possible to take on her promise.

MY THOUGHTS -
This book didn't shock me, wow me, or present anything new - but, oh, did I enjoy it! I was a bit surprised at some things toward the end, but other than that it was the same old, same old. So why did I enjoy this book so much? Kate. Ok, so, she was a little whiny at times (I thought), but I respect her more than most YA heroines. She has strong morals and a very selfless outlook, and keeps her promises. She was what wowed me.

I also really enjoyed the chemistry between Kate and Henry. The romance is pretty slow moving - hey! 6 months is a long time for YA lit - and at the end it isn't all happily ever after. This I appreciate.

The plot itself was interesting, but definitely not chock-full of obvious, life endangering tests like you'd think. One reason I kept pushing through was to see what the tests would be revealed as. They were interesting, but not like I'd hoped.

I liked the way Ava was incorporated into this story... And I also did not guess who was killing off all the girls until right before Kate did. That mystery did keep me involved.

Last thing - Henry. He was just...ok. Understandably sad, dejected, and ready to "fade", but sometimes, it seemed too much. Dude, you're allowed to smile every once in a while, okay?

All in all, this was a fun read!

This book reminds me of...
Mansions I'd want to get lost in
A heroine worth rooting for
Lovely gardens
Stained glass
Intrigue!! ;)

For the Parents -
Language scattered throughout; after some passionate but nondescript kissing, it is stated Kate and Henry have sex, but the act is not described in any way. Mention of Ava sleeping around, being a whore, etc. ( All this has a reason!!) Recommended 15+

Read more reviews at Yearning to Read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

04/21/2012 page 14
5.0% "So far I really like the writing!!"
04/22/2012 page 120
39.0% "I like this! Thinking 3 stars right now but I'm definitely enjoying it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ange I'm glad your enjoying this. I loved it, especially the ending

Mimi Valentine This book was ADORABLE, Sierra! I rated it around a three too but threes are still way awesome :) <3

Sierra Abrams Yay!! I'm so glad you both liked it! I'm really enjoying myself...like, a lot! ;)