David's Reviews > The Technologists

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl

Mar 19, 12

Read from March 10 to 16, 2012

The Technologists has all the ingredients to create a compelling Boston sited historical thriller. The only thing missing is a good story. At first, I thought that a story about the beginning of MIT with a historical fiction component would make for a great tale but somehow, at least for me, Pearl manages to dilute the post-Civil War Boston scene into a story that appears to be a supernatural story. The plot eventually settles on a path that mires upwards of fifteen potential villains that might have committed dastardly deeds upon the otherwise thriving city of Boston.

I received my engineering degree in Boston and know many people who taught or went to the Institute, and unfortunately, I can’t recommend this book to any them, which is a pity. The main problem is the storyline which forms the type of thriller that wastes too much time attempting to steer the reader away from the actual criminal rather than just telling the story. For these flaws I can only give The Technologists a poor read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Technologists.