Wallacejoh's Reviews > Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America

Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King

U 50x66
Mar 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

I don't read many new hardcovers as they are too expensive and my library usually has waiting lists for popular new releases. But I happened to be there when this was being catalogued and the librarian told me I had to read Devil in the Grove and Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. I read Unbroken first and it was very good, but Devil in the Grove was so heartstopping I finished it in two days. Incredible book. Easily five stars and you will come away with such a profound respect for Thurgood Marshall and his lawyers. It's part crime drama, part history and part legal thriller and there isn't a dull moment in the book. You will feel as though you have a better understanding of the issues of the day at the time of the Korean War in the south, and Gilbert King gives one plot twist after another you'll think you are reading a novel. A lot like a true version of To Kill a Mockingbird. I am tempted to buy this book for my father now as he's always looking for these kinds of pageturners.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil in the Grove.

Amber Berry I found it on my library's list of recent purchases when I was searching for the DVD 'Thurgood,' of the Laurence Fishburne one-man play. It's arrived & I'm picking the book up Saturday! Good to learn that it's worth reading. Thanks.

Wallacejoh I watched that Thurgood one man show after reading this book. One of the most underrated heroes in America I think. I would love to see a movie based on Devil in the Grove.