Jonathan's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

272061
Apr 08, 12

Read in April, 2012

Well this is quite fun in parts, but suffers from all of the characters sharing the authors voice, from the author wanting us to like or at least sympathise with all of his creations, and from a somewhat jocular tone at odds with the violent events. Some authors can elide these things into a single solid whole, but Scott Lynch can't. In addition, the plotting isn't very clever really. I rather wish he had just lifted wholesale from Raffles or someone who can write heists and confidence tricks, because if those had worked I would have felt much more sympathetic. He kills off some of the more interesting characters also, and introduces random facts as and when he needs them (such as some kind of mind wiping drug being lighter than air), if he had glossed that in the first chapter that would have been ok, but to do so as and when he needed it felt a bit forced. This can be got away with if none of the characters worry about explaining things too much, you can just assume that you are the ignorant outsider, but Scott does love his heavy exposition.

In sum, he wants to be like Joe Abercrombe, but he really isn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.