Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads's Reviews > Lily of the Nile

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read on March 15, 2012

I think I'd give this book 6 stars if I could. It was that good. I have to praise Dray's writing. Polished, moving, and just plain lovely to read. She draws you into this story instantly.

The characters are very vivid and real. I feel as though I know each of them intimately, and their burdens and at times I felt like I was watching the dialogue between them rather than reading it. Of all the characters I loved Selene, Helios and Octavian the most.

Octavian is twisted, but intelligently so. And yet he plays into Selene's game at the end, becoming her Caesar in a way he never intends. I have to admire Selene's courage and strength, not to mention intelligence, to out wit the greatest master at political intrigue like that. If she is that part of her mother, daring and intelligence, then Helios is her passion and fury. I love his defiance of the Romans, I love how he defends his parents good names and his sister's honour. And I love that those two parts of Cleopatra are combined in her children, Helios the sun, and Selene the moon. I thought that symbolism was fascinating. And lord, does she ever shine once Helios runs away. I'm only sad that we won't see anymore of Helios in this series.

Definitely read this book!

5 glittering stars

More reviews at www.devastatingreads.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily of the Nile.

03/15/2012 page 81
23.0% "Wow, very compelling characters. And this story, although familiar, worms into your heart and mind."
03/15/2012 page 237
68.0% "Dray's writing is so beautiful. I'm so moved."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, you might see Helios again ;)

Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads Yay! Although, I think he didn't come to a very happy end, historically speaking....

message 3: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Dray Giulia (My Devastating Reads) wrote: "Yay! Although, I think he didn't come to a very happy end, historically speaking...."

*whistles innocently*

Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads Ooh, Stephanie Dray might've given him a happy ending. Oohs, I likey!! OK I gotta go get the second book.

message 5: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Dray Giulia (My Devastating Reads) wrote: "Ooh, Stephanie Dray might've given him a happy ending. Oohs, I likey!! OK I gotta go get the second book."

I didn't do anything that historians could tar and feather me for. Other than the whole magic bleeding hands business. But I think Helios lovers will be happier with my version! <3