L's Reviews > Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food

Mar 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: overrated
Read from March 10 to 19, 2012

Although this book made me feel "in the know" about the up-and-coming fish in the market (barramundi, Kona Kampachi), it fell short of being anything but a superficial, designer book; it was all style and no substance. Unfortunately, the style was less than glamorous, too. Greenberg is just not an interesting writer.

Essentially, this book is Greenberg's dry, judgmental, morally-superior justification for eating fish. Several parts made me shudder at how blatantly he passed moral judgment on another person, notably a 70-year old man. He, on the other hand, was too superior to eat whale, yet ate bluefin mere days after writing an article suggesting the opposite. The haughty tone of the book overshadowed anything real the author was trying to say. And the final scene in the epilogue…give me some wine with all that cheese - my goodness.

Greenberg is simply and clearly untalented as a writer; he made salmon seem as dry as if my mother had cooked it. I love fish as a subject and as a pet, occasionally as an entrée. How can a writer destroy my interest in a subject with flavorless prose and bland descriptions? And his condescension of the "micro-history" books with one-word titles made me sick to my stomach. Does he not realize he's marketing his OWN book to the same audience and just because his book has a two-word title doesn't make it a different genre. More syllables does not a genius make.

There is nothing in this book that you can't get from a news article. Someone was just out to make some money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Fish.

03/10/2012 page 10