Huma Rashid's Reviews > Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women

Love, InshAllah by Nura Maznavi

Mar 11, 12

Read from March 10 to 11, 2012

Some of the stories in this book are better than others, but the book itself is a must-read simply because of the picture it presents. Everyone has an image of Muslim women. Especially those who don't know one personally.

In reading this book, you'll see a whole world of feeling and passion and angst that's never part of the discussion of Muslim women, and for that reason, this book goes a long way in fighting misconceptions about women like us.

I want to do a full, meaningful, carefully written review, but I just can't. So much of the stuff in this book hits too close to home. If you're inclined, you can read my many posts on the subject here at my book blog . I discuss specific stories, certain quotes, general ideas, and even personal thoughts and experiences.

I'm so glad a book like this was written. (And screw the haters who will only talk about how the women in this book are all hell-bound for daring not to adhere to that particular critic's narrowly tailored view of what Islam is and what it demands.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, InshAllah.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I just read about your journey through this book on your blog. It was delightful. I share a lot of your feelings about some of the stories as well. All in all, this book sets the stage for many, many much-needed thinking and conversations to take place.

Huma Rashid i was reminded of what you said in your review about the happily ever afters involving Muslim women and nonMuslim men, and how those seemed too perfect or idyllic to happen with any frequency at all. :P

Sarah Huma wrote: "i was reminded of what you said in your review about the happily ever afters involving Muslim women and nonMuslim men, and how those seemed too perfect or idyllic to happen with any frequency at al..."

Heh, yep. I could better appreciate stories that dealt with husbands who remained nonMuslim. I'm happy for the women for whom it worked out so nicely (i.e. nonMuslim men converting 'for' them), but I wouldn't want my daughter growing up nursing those kind of romantic notions.