rachel nicole's Reviews > Phantom

Phantom by Susan Kay

Aug 26, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: i-hate-love-triangles, retellings

I love Phantom of the Opera more than... a lot of things. In fact, I'd say that it is my all-time favorite "love" story/musical/production/movie (2004) ever. I have no shame in the fact that I'm literally obsessed with POTO. But, of course, there are a few problems. I think this book a phenomenal retelling of the origianl work, and I appreciated how she attempted to stay (somewhat) close to Gaston Leroux's, and I enjoyed learning about Erik's past, whether or not it was true. I had some problems, though, with the blatant Christine x Erik pairing. Personally, I don't like the two of them together, and I don't believe that they would ever be together. The ending was also hard for me to appreciate with the boy probably being Erik's and with Christine dying so soon after Erik. I felt like Kay almost didn't give Christine enough credit - she made Christine weak and fragile, the damsel in distress. While, yes, I would agree that she is the damsel in this novel, it was frustrating how no one seems to realize that Christine kissed the Phantom in order to save Raoul, and I feel like that was kind of a major downfall for me? Like that she still insisted on making Christine be in love with Erik. That was such a small portion of the book, though, and I definitely think the rest of it was amazing. I loved Nadir's relationship with Erik, especially, and his love for Nadir's son.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.