Ashland Mystery Oregon's Reviews > An Ordinary Decent Criminal

An Ordinary Decent Criminal by Michael Van Rooy

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: mystery-canada
Read in March, 2012

Michael Van Rooy's An Ordinary Decent Criminal is about an ordinary decent man, who just happens to be an ex-con and recovering addict. It's the first of three Monty Haaviko mysteries. Read them in order for best appreciation.

Haaviko's desire to live a regular, predictable live is admirable, and it's easy to care for this honorable man. Monty and his family are victims of a powerful and corrupt police investigator and a local crime boss: both spread fearful gossip and send their minions to threaten and torment. The pressures he faces to keep his promise are enormous but Monty's wife and beloved partner never wavers from his side. With almost inhuman self control and brilliant maneuvers, Haaviko establishes his right to live freely in the home of his choosing, to live under his own name, and his right to defend himself.

You know Van Rooy's a must read not only because of lavish reader reviews, but also because of really admirable writer reviews. Michael Koryta says "An Ordinary Decent Criminal would have Quentin Tarantino smiling from page one. Doubt me? Read page one.". Steve Hamilton says, "The protagonist is as tough as any character I've ever read, but he also has smarts and a huge heart. This is truly one of the best books I've read all year. Michael Van Rooy is Canada's best-kept secret in crime fiction."

I so regret that Michael Van Rooy passed away on tour with the third Monty Haaviko mystery, in 2011.

Thanks to the Ashland Public Library in Ashland, Oregon where I discovered Van Rooy's writing.

--Ashland Mystery

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ordinary Decent Criminal.