Colleen's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Mar 10, 12

I loved so much about this book, and am recommending it to friends, but I was increasingly frustrated by Henry's Scrimshander's lack of an interior life. His character really never developed. Perhaps that was on purpose, but nonetheless it is offputting for the central character to remain so mysterious. Loved many of the other characters, though, and overall found it smart, engrossing and worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike Hi Colleen! I felt Henry's interior was left blank, because unlike the other main characters, he was not a reader. The college president, his daughter, her boyfriend, Henry's roommate -- all are described as voracious readers, of obscure books, which they recall or quote at will. Henry is opaque because he has no interior, he is not introspective in the way the other four, overtly 'literary', are.

Colleen Oh Mike, you're so smart. There's a reason I changed my major from English lit (all that interpretive reading drove me nuts) to journalism. You're absolutely right!