Ashley Wilson's Reviews > Music for Alice

Music for Alice by Allen Say

F_50x66
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: asian-pacific-american

This story is about Alice who is an Asian American immigrant in the US. In the beginning Alice tells us that she loves to dance but growing up she did not have the opportunity to. After Pearl Harbor, she and all of her family was forced to move to camps where they would be sent back to their home contrys. Alice was very worried though, the US was all that she knew. She and her husband got lucky though, instead of having to leave they were hired as indentured servants to work on a farm. they worked hard day and night and then at the end of their term, they were given land to start all over. This inspiring story then tells of how Alice and her husband made a life of their own by farming. When the great depression hit, farming was no longer profitable so they started growing flowers. This was a great buisness for the two. People flew in from everywhere to get flowers. The story ends with Alices husband dying and she ends up selling her farm. Alice is at peace with this though and finally decides that she has worked hard enough for her stay in the US and now she will dance like she has never dance before.
I really liked this story. I think it is very indicitive of how many immigrants are treated when they come to the US. Alice and her husband were very strong individuals who worked hard for everthing they had. I think that by reading such book to children will be a great way to discuss Pearl Harbor and even events like 911 and the things that happen as an after effect. Great book to share about multicultural awareness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Music for Alice.