Ashley Wilson's Reviews > The Ugly Duckling

F_50x66
Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: traditional
Read in April, 2012

The Ugly Duckling is a story about a mother duck whose eggs have just hatched. The mother thinks that something weird is going on with one of the eggs becasue it is so big but she waits to see what happens. When the egg hatches soon after all its siblings, the mother duck wonders if it came from a turkey. Nonetheless though she decides to treat it as her own and go out to the water. It is there that the ducking gets its name. Becasue the ducking is different, all the bystanders say that it is ugly and a discrace to the family. The mother says that he is not ugly but he is "tall and strong". When the duck finally drew tired of the name calling he runs away. He goes on a journey where he lives with two different families. The fear of being ugly causes him to not stay for too long. In the end though the Ugly Duckling finds his true worth and figures out that having gone through all he has, he learned an important lesson.
I really liked this book because of the lesson it portrayed. While the duckling was ugly in the beginning he turned out to be the prettiest in the end. I think it shows how even though people may talk about you, you must believe in yourself and never get discouraged. The pictures in the book further enhance this book with the illustrations. I loved how it looks like a real pond scene. The detail in the illustrations make a great children be drawn to the ugly duckling and his family. Having such big pictures makes this book even great for younger students who cannot read. In this way you could tell the story using the illustrations alone. One page that I particularly loved the illustrations is when the ducking was flying and you could see the reflection on the pond. This is very neat!
In all I really liked this book. I think it is great in teaching valuable lessons about self worth and esteem. The pictures make it so that the story can be told to many different age groups.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duckling.