Erica's Reviews > The Cost of Living

The Cost of Living by Arundhati Roy

Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: adult, non-fiction
Read from April 09 to 16, 2011

I really just read the second essay in the book called "The End of Imagination." It was really something that reminded me about how violent and terrifying nuclear bombs are. I feel like I've just grown complacent and accepting that the nuclear bombs exist and that we, as Americans, of course are allowed to have them more than anyone else. Because clearly we've proven that we are not a country of lunatics, we don't have genocide (anymore), or religious hatred (yeah, right).

How horrifying that more and more countries, including my own, are working on ways to absolutely obliterate other people. How I love how she states in the essay that the only way this system really works is if our enemies truly have the same fears as us (non-extinction) yet, how many uncontrollable and unimaginable tragedies have occurred due to our enemies not thinking like us at all? Not thinking that annihilation is the worst possible outcome?

It was fascinating, and even though it was mainly about India's nuclear program it was truly insightful and applicable to us all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Living.