Desiree's Reviews > Vivatera

Vivatera by Candace J. Thomas

Mar 10, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Recommended to Desiree by: Won from First reads
Recommended for: fantasy lovers, World building enthusiasts
Read from March 31 to April 07, 2012

Actual rating three and a half stars

In short The Vivatera is the story of a girl named Naomi discovering the mystery that is herself in a mythical world full of people and creatures which may or may not be trying to help her. She is a mystery to herself and most others with an unfortunate past, a shaky present and a very unknown future.
This was a very intricate story with a ton of characters. It took me much longer than it should have to read. This was mainly due to the fact that every couple of pages I was searching back for a snippet of information or a character that had been mentioned in the past and was latter made important or noteworthy. This sometimes made the story feel more significant and at other times made me shake my fists at the sky. Overall I really enjoyed the story. The world building was great and it is obvious that a lot of thinking and time went into creating the world in which the characters live and the intricacy of the story line.
However, a few things fell flat for me. I felt that most of the characters had very little depth to them, most of all Naomi. She was very flat. The only real characteristic that she possessed was kindness. There really was very little to her. Every other character was always commenting on how charming she was but I never once felt that charm from her. In fact she was my least favorite character of all. The only characters that I really enjoyed were Zander and the sisters. Everyone else just felt blah to me. And there are so many different characters, and a lot with similar names that at times I felt lost about who I was reading about.
The climatic scene towards the end felt very rushed. there was so much that happened to lead up to what I thought would be an epic battle between Naomi and her friends and a horrible dark wizard but then he was just *poof* gone, with very little conflict. It was fairly disappointing.
Lastly, There was a whole lot left unanswered and unresolved. I understand that this was done so that there could be a sequel and I appreciate that but I have looked and I have seen no upcoming date for said sequel even though The vivatera was published in 2010. I would love to read it whenever it does come out.
I know that it sounds like there was a lot more that I didn't like about this book than I did but that is not true. The intricacy of the plot and the amazing possibilities for the sequel or series was more than enough to hold my interest. The story truly was amazing, it could have benefited from a little extra editing but it was so multidimensional that I have really high hopes for the story and especially the character development in the book/s to come. I definitely recommend this to fantasy lovers who love world building.

A copy of The Vivatera was won from a First Reads contest. Thanks Good Reads!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vivatera.

03/31/2012 page 45
11.0% "So far this is really, really good!"
04/01/2012 "How lazy has the kindle made me? This 420 page book feels enormous and my arm seriously starts to get tired from holding it. Pathetic!"
04/03/2012 page 225
54.0% "Good whit I tell ya."
04/06/2012 page 370
88.0% "This is good but I feel like it's taking me FOREVER to read!"
show 1 hidden update…

Desiree Wow... I have no idea what I was trying to write there! LOL.

message 2: by Sen (new)

Sen Congratulations on winning it X)!

Desiree Sanna wrote: "Congratulations on winning it X)!"

Thanks! I never win anything. I was sooo excited!