Cathy DuPont's Reviews > Chasing Midnight

Chasing Midnight by Randy Wayne White

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: put-down
Read from March 10 to 24, 2012

I tried, I really, really tried but could not get through this lackluster of a book. And it was hard for me to put down because I have been such a hard core follower of RWW. Put down and picked back up three times and nothing changed. It was just a lousey reading book, everything about it.

There is definately something lacking in the writing of this, and the last three or four books.

Such a disappointment, to me personally, to conclude the writing was just kind of silly. Seemed amateurist and certainly not at the usual standards RWW has already established.

Doc Ford who is specialized in training techniques, making quick solid, correct decisions, seems lost. From time to time he'll say to himself 'Idiot' or something similar when he sees he's made a mistake. He can't even tackle two bumbling kids who don't know what they're doing. He's just not the same fellow I read about in Sanibel Flats or Ten Thousand Islands.

I'll probably take a look at next year's book but will not attend a signing which I've done for the past three years.

I'll have to go back and re-read the earlier ones to get my Doc Ford and Florida fix!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Midnight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Hi Cathy, Thank You, for your review since I feel the exact same way. At first I thought it might be me! I am a HUGE fan of RWWhite and so looked forward to this read and ... dont tell anyone, haha but I found myself, skimming pages in the hopes that it would get better, and it didnt. I put it down over and over and tried and tried and just finished it last night and was so dissapointed! Need to write my review for GR next. Hope this is just a blip in his writing career. Thanks again, Joe

Cathy DuPont Joe: We're on the same page and I, too, hope it's just a blip.

Unfortunately, I skimmed through a few pages myself for the same reasons you stated. Thanks for comment, I appreciate when someone reads what I write and then lets me know.

Cathy DuPont Joe wrote: "Hi Cathy, Thank You, for your review since I feel the exact same way. At first I thought it might be me! I am a HUGE fan of RWWhite and so looked forward to this read and ... dont tell anyone, haha..."

Joe:

Don't expect much from new book Gone, says GR friend who's a fan of RWW. I'm waiting for paperback or find at book sale. It's about Hannah Smith a character who was in previous books. The priceless quote, (I'm paraphasing) was Hannah saying she felt a 'sister connection' with another woman because they had the same bra size. Oh, my, that's just plain stupid.

Sounds like more waiting for the real Doc Ford and Tomlimson to appear. Sorry for me, sorry for you.

Cathy

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Hi Cathy, So Sad to hear this, but better to know ahead of time, before I get my hopes up! BTW, have you read any of William Kent Krueger? Cork O'Connor is character. I read them all and LOVED them, FASCINATING character, Cork is. takes place up in Minnesota area, along US/Canada border. Beautiful locale, sharp characters. I have reviewed them all, just FYI. Havent found any new Florida authors yet, but will keep looking! Happy Reading!

Cathy DuPont Joe wrote: "Hi Cathy, So Sad to hear this, but better to know ahead of time, before I get my hopes up! BTW, have you read any of William Kent Krueger? Cork O'Connor is character. I read them all and LOVED them..."

Hi Joe:

Thanks for your email. Funny because just today was talking(?) to GR friend about the Cork O'Connor protag and was wondering about the author, so you gave me good info which I'll follow up on, for sure.

I'll be surprised if you find differently from what I said about Gone. Unfortunately, too, because I LOVED, just loved all the RWW books until just recently.

Ditto on any new found FL authors. One though I should have mentioned was Vicki Hendricks. Tough cookie, her character.

Hendricks was student of Jim Hall (Thorne) who teaches at FL International University in Miami. I want to read another of her books. They are not though, for the faint of heart! GR friend Jackson Burnett (who is an author himself, pretty good, too) recommended her. If you want to read her, need to give you a 'heads up' so let me know.

Good hearing from you, and good reading to you, too!

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Hey my friend, Still on, working on my reviews! OK, so I see we both have GONE marked as TO READ but having heard from you and reading the reviews, that is going to be a Library book for me! Funny how the reviews go fromn 1 * to 5 *s haha, oh well, thats life! So GONE is a new series with this Hanna character, hmmm. Overall doesnt sound like she is going to fill Doc Fords shoes! I did read where RWW does have another Doc Ford coming out in March of 2013, have you heard that? I was a HUGE fan of James Hall, his Thorn series but near the end, he got kind of..."dark". I will def. look into Vicki Hendricks and let you know. I just remembered there is another author, TOM LOWE, that lives over by you, Jacksonville area..and I met him here on Good Reads. He wrote to me about his new book and I started with his first 2, A FALSE DAWN and then THE 24TH LETTER. Series, with character, Sean O'Brien. His 3rd book, THE BUTTERFLY FOREST takes place in Ocala. I think it was better than the first 2. Only thing was, it kind of reminded me of W. K. Kruegers stories, just totally different locale. None the less, it was neat to meet the author and talk to him about his books. You have me excited to dig thru my collections now and get you some of my Florida authors! OK, back to my reviews, 2 down, 2 to go! Talk later! Thanks

Cathy DuPont Joe wrote: "Hey my friend, Still on, working on my reviews! OK, so I see we both have GONE marked as TO READ but having heard from you and reading the reviews, that is going to be a Library book for me! Funny ..."

Joe:

No, didn't hear about RWW new book. Gone is for sure, a library book. I usually buy hardback but no longer. Here's a review from Lynette you might like to read: Gone

Lynette lives in FL and like us, enjoys books with Florida as locale.

Read Tom Lowe, first two books and enjoyed them, one more than the other if I remember right. I'll catch up on Butterfly Forest soon.

All good info! And I'm excited, too, knowing you may have some I'm not familiar with. Love FL mysteries! Thanks.

Cathy DuPont Geezzzz, I'm going backwards. Sorry, like I have all the time in the world to go backwards! My apology.