Alison's Reviews > Waiting

Waiting by Carol Lynch Williams

F_50x66
Mar 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

Reading a book by Carol Lynch Williams is like slipping into someone else's skin, walking around as her, breathing her air, and, especially, feeling what she feels. In the case of WAITING, we're inside the skin of London, a teenage girl who's lost her brother and whose family is crumbling because of his death.
London's skin is not a comfortable place to be--and yet, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to know more about her and to stay long enough to make sure she would be okay. And when the story was over, I was glad I stayed. I was glad I took that difficult journey with her. Because at the end, there was hope, and faith, and life. Imagine all that coming from a death.
If you're a fan of Williams's books, you won't be disappointed. She tackles tough topics and WAITING is no exception. I found her teenage protagonist to be very realistic. What teen--what adult, even--doesn't do some things that might be confusing to those around them, especially as she's grasping at straws to heal herself and her family. For instance, London seems to be attracted to two boys. But is she, really? Read and find out.
I also found London's friends a refreshing group in a teen lit world of backstabbers. Not at all the cliche that London feels her life to be.
If you want to read a book about grief and healing, go elsewhere. If you want to live one, WAITING is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting.