LeeAnn's Reviews > The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Jan 11, 2016

Read from January 09 to 11, 2016

There is so much to chew on here. I began this book (with the latest addition on Kindle) at the recommendation of my sister-in-law when she realized my son was serving a mission for our church in Merced, an area with many Hmong. She was right; this was an interesting lesson in the cross cultural clash of two very foreign ways of being: American (western) and Hmong. It is also a lesson in seeing things from other viewpoints or at least being aware that there IS, or at least may be, another view. Reality, after all, is only as good as the lens through which we view life.

This book also underscores a challenge I have regarding the medical community, which is the propensity of "them" thinking they are the best at making all decisions medical. Not too long ago, an American family also had to run when they disagreed with a doctor's analysis. (He was wrong but the CPS and courts sided with him.) This point of view must be countered with a much more rational idea that the family is entitled to their faith, beliefs, and their own decisions. There are more ways than one to view a medical challenge.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down.

01/11 marked as: currently-reading