Kyle's Reviews > The Way Through Doors

The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball

Mar 11, 2012

Read on March 10, 2012

After reading this book I am convinced that the author, Jesse Ball, is the secret love child of Italo Calvino and David Lynch. This book is an absolute mind**** and I loved every minute of it.

It is very easy to get lost in this book. First of all, there are no page numbers. Every fifth paragraph is numbered and that's it. At first it was a bit annoying but then I got into it and really enjoyed not knowing that I had "50 pages to go". Then there's the story. Make that stories. I guess the overarching plot is our protagonist sees a girl get hit by a car and he accompanies her to the hospital. She awakes with no memory and the doctors tell the main character it is his job to keep her awake through the night so he begins telling a story.... and eventually the characters in the story he is telling come to the forefront and the narrator drifts away... and then suddenly the new characters begin telling a story and they begin to drift away and then all of a sudden we are back with the original main character but at a different time and place and wait now we are back and OMG WTF IS GOING ON!?!?!??!

And seriously weird stuff is going in. Like Murakami weird. Like the Twin Peaks Black Lodge weird. But it is all beautiful and it all works. The stories are intricately inter-weaved and though you never know what is going on or why it really is sort of the point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way Through Doors.