Taffy's Reviews > Olivia

bookshelves: 2012
Read in March, 2012

First line:

"He wasn't coming home."

First thing I have to say is how brilliant four author friends are to create The Newport Ladies Book Club! I'm looking forward to reading each book from four different ladies/perspectives/characters.

Olivia is the first book of the series and is written by Julie Wright.

Poor Olivia Robbins! Life is not what it looks like in her home. Her husband works more and more away from home; the children feel his absence; and Olivia cleans.

When he ditches her on their anniversary night, she realizes something or someone (mostly her husband, right??) need to change. While out walking off her anger she comes across a flyer beckoning her to take it. A book club is just what she needs to reconnect with other women after giving so much of herself to others.

At the club she meets other women who look put together on the outside, but like her, are having personal troubles. And as she reaches out to others, Olivia learns she can stand on her own and do good in her family.

In the beginning, Olivia was driving me crazy blaming all the problems on her absent husband. Seriously, like 70 pages of whining. A few chapters later I realized why Julie was writing the beginning that way. Olivia started realizing maybe she had contributed to the situation as well.

I hoped the couple would stay together and work out their marriage. This story might feel like true life as other women feel like Olivia.

I loved how Olivia reached out to her husband's two children from a previous marriage. She learns that when you reach outside yourself you are truly blessed. Olivia doesn't stand by anymore, hoping not to offend her husband. She takes steps to be a better person/mother/wife.

I enjoyed the books the book club picked and their discussion. This book made me want to start a book club!

This book kind of reminded of Band of Sisters by Annette Lyon (who is another contributor to this series).

I look forward to reading about the other ladies from the book club!

Likes:

Olivia's growth

Books chosen by book club

Dislikes:

Olivia's whining

Couldn't read fast enough!

Rating: PG

L: No

S: No

V: No

4 STARS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivia.