Louise's Reviews > The Hero of Ages

Mar 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 10 to 20, 2012

Trim it down, trim it down! This wordy finale ruined what could have been an awe-inspiring ending. So many things were repeated and beat into my head that I felt it was a chore just to get to the ending. I had the very same problems I had with the second book in the series. There's a stagnancy in the middle, while all the characters are having pretty much the same internal struggles, and I just wanted them to get over it and move on with the story.

While I didn't mind the italicized parts in the first book, it really distracted in this book. It rarely revealed anything helpful and only summarized what we already knew. It made the book feel pretty dumbed down and it's not like it was that hard to follow. Sanderson also tried too hard to make things feel contrary yet logical and all the philosophical crap about balance just turned into one steaming turd.

Elend Spoiler: (view spoiler)

I wanted to give this book 2.5 stars, but I'll give it an extra half star for the good idea of how it wraps up. It's just the poor execution that's killing me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero of Ages.

03/12/2012
15.0% "Oh yeah, I forgot the events of the 2nd book."
03/12/2012
21.0% "Too much emo whining from Sazed. I can skip his chapters, right?"
03/16/2012
45.0% "I feel bad for the koloss."

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Lin Is it worth just buying the trilogy?

Louise Some say yes. The second book is kinda boring, sort of like The Two Towers in the LotR trilogy, but the third book supposedly is OMG awesome. I'm still reading the third book, so I'll let you know.

Brad Haney I personally thought all 3 were awesome, definitely worth buying the trilogy and finding out for yourself.

Louise I revise my statement. The third book has all the faults of the second book and while the ending *would* have been OMG awesome, I thought it was executed poorly and just too wordy. He could have finished the third book in half the amount of words. The first book is the best. Just read that one and I'll fill you in on the rest =)

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Lin Harsh. I had such hope.