Melanie Fair's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Mar 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

It was a late night, waiting for the release of some version of "Halo". My family and I went to the movies and I suggested "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World". I've never been able to live it down.
So I figured the book(s) MUST be better, and they are. There are just some things you can't capture in film, and this entire series is one of them. And I can't get Micheal Cera's voice out of my head. But reading this was like watching the movie, except without the exposition and explanation. I wish I could scrub my brain of the movie long enough to enjoy but alas, almost every scene was lifted from the books. Granted, the books were better, but already knowing everything that happened kind of is a let-down. Also, Ramona says "seven evil ex-boyfriends" in the books, not "seven evil ex-es". So that was an odd change, unless she corrects herself later in the series.
Of its own merit, I liked it. I could care less about Scott, but I really like Ramona (even if she's a turd) and Wallace. The fight scenes, in manga, are much more believable and less corny. Overall, book trumps movie yet again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life.