Brenda's Reviews > Road of the Patriarch

Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore

7972070
Mar 17, 12

Read from March 10 to 17, 2012

An integral second part to "Promise of the Witch King", "Road.." concludes what Jarlaxle has begun with Entreri. We get to understand more of Jarlaxle's life in Menzoberranzan, though not much (do I perhaps see another series looming in the future much like our beloved Drizzt?), a bit of what makes Athrogate Athrogate, and Artemis gets to deal with the ghosts of his past.

I got to see a Paladin King struggle with evil, evil's intent, and evil's potential redemption. Witness the love of a son (or like) and that loss tear a man apart, witness betrayal and violation create a cold-blooded killer, experience the outlook of the life of a drow verses the lifestyle of a human, of all humanity.

Once a drow told Drizzt that he doesn't know how to be an elf. Living with Jarlaxle for these three books helps to understand just what that means.

Idalia's flute, a curse and a blessing, as are all great gifts, eh? Since I don't want to spoil it for you, let it be know that Salvatore does not disappoint us with his writing skills. He describes the conflicts within Artemis resulting from the sensation of Caring. He takes us through the growth, the backslide, and the horror of confronting a wretched past, discovering the truth, and redemption.

Salvatore's skill in describing the swordfights among skilled adversaries of many talents is unmatched. How his imagination can encompass all the detail is beyond my comprehension. It's almost as though I could learn these moves by simply reading.

And the enigma that is Jarlaxle. A drow that experiences guilt?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Road of the Patriarch.

03/11/2012 page 41
03/12/2012 page 75
21.0% "So far, not nearly as gripping as its predecessor, although it does pick up from the day following "Promise of the Witch King"."
03/16/2012 page 302
86.0% "Wow, the wild twists of Jarlaxle and Artemis just keep on coming. So many places the book could have ended, but with over 100 pages to go (at those points) you must KNOW some creative turn is just around the bend."
show 3 hidden updates…