Kelly 's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction, friendship, love-story, young-adult, teen-topics
Read in March, 2012

The idea behind this (if you knew what your future held, what would you do to change it) isn't new, but the unique part here is that teens in 1996 encounter facebook on a new computer. This is what prompts them to think about their future and how their current choices impact their future life. Despite the obvious differences between 1996 and 2012, the authors don't focus on this all that much. The story is really just a teen romance.

The use of alternating male/female narrators is nice, and the humor works well with the voices. Teens today who didn't live in 1996 won't care about how these teens feel when they encounter facebook nor will today's teens appreciate the few technological references (early cell phones, pagers, etc). Older readers who grew up in the 1990's will probably enjoy a trip down memory lane, though, with music references, etc. The book could be fun to use in class to get students to envision their lives 15 years down the road.

I honestly expected more from this book given the authors' previous works. Cute and sweet, although I enjoyed the book, I wish the authors had done more with the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.