Oli's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Mar 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

Quotes Oli Liked

Victor Hugo
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”

Victor Hugo
“...But listen, there will be more joy in heaven over the tears of a repentant sinner than over the white robes of a hundred just men.”

Victor Hugo
“...Nobody knows like a woman how to say things that are both sweet and profound. Sweetness and depth, this is all of woman; this is Heaven.”

Victor Hugo
“The future has several names. For the weak, it is impossible; for the fainthearted, it is unknown; but for the valiant, it is ideal.”

Victor Hugo
“Laughter is sunshine, it chases winter from the human face.”

Victor Hugo
“If I speak, I am condemned.
If I stay silent, I am damned!”

Victor Hugo
“There is something more terrible than a hell of suffering--a hell of boredom. ”

Victor Hugo
“There is always more misery among the lower classes than there is humanity in the higher.”

Victor Hugo
“If you wish to understand what Revolution is, call it Progress; and if you wish to understand what Progress is, call it Tomorrow.”

Victor Hugo
“Diamonds are to be found only in the darkness of the earth, and truth in the darkness of the mind. ”

Victor Hugo
“Let us study things that are no more. It is necessary to understand them, if only to avoid them.”

Victor Hugo
“Nothing is more imminent than the impossible . . . what we must always foresee is the unforeseen.”

Victor Hugo
“If the soul is left in darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but the one who causes the darkness. (Monseigneur Bienvenu in _Les Miserables_)”

Victor Hugo
“Faith is necessary to men; woe to him who believes in nothing!”

Victor Hugo
“You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving. The great acts of love are done by those who are habitually performing small acts of kindness. We pardon to the extent that we love. Love is knowing that even when you are alone, you will never be lonely again. & great happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved. Loved for ourselves. & even loved in spite of ourselves.”

Victor Hugo
“There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.”
tags: sea, sky, soul