Renee's Reviews > Sarai

Sarai by Jill Eileen Smith

Aug 19, 14

bookshelves: christian-fiction, historical, bible-times

“What a failure her life had been. Would she have lied to God if she’d had more faith, been more righteous? How could she possibly have a son at her age? And yet, if she had believed all along . . .” ~from Sarai ~

These lines from Jill Eileen Smith’s novel share the anguish Sarai feels as she realizes how often she has missed God’s favor because she cannot bring herself to trust Him. God blesses Sarai with a very good life—especially for a woman of that time period. She has incredible beauty, an adoring, godly husband, wealth, servants, health. (Who wouldn’t want to look young and lovely at age sixty-plus?) Yet jealousy, fear, and doubt eat away at her happiness. When she compounds this with idolatry and bad choices, she sets in motion events that bring much pain both to Sarai and those she loves.

Though familiar with the biblical account, this book brought Sarai’s story to life for me. I rejoiced with her, hurt with her, worried for her . . . And I couldn’t help but think about heaven. I’ve often wondered how we will relate to other Christian women from cultures and time periods so different from ours. Stories like this remind me of all the sorrows, hopes, and dreams we share with the ones we’ll meet in eternity.

Rich in historical detail, Sarai is a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarai.