Dhitri's Reviews > My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon

My Life on the Run by Bart Yasso

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: ibooks, running
Read from March 17 to 19, 2012

This book made me feel like I was sitting in a pre-race pasta party, watching Bart Yasso give a slideshow of his running adventures around the world (as he often does). As I listen to his incredible stories of his courage and perseverance when battling addiction and Lyme disease, dedication and, to some part, recklessness, to running and to hi work, I imagine I'd find my legs twitching, itching to leap out of my chair and just run. Not for a finisher's medal or a personal best, but to affirm life. To embrace running as part of who I am and let the virtues define the way I lead my life.

This may sound really cliche but Yasso's positive outlook is really infectious. The book grabbed me from the start, when Yasso said in the intro "But then I started running. And when I started running, I started dreaming. It couldn't be helped. The mind works as hard as the body during exercise." This is so true. This book is more than just about the physical act of runnning, although the last section is dedicated to Suggested training plans for different levels nd, of course, insight into the famed Yasso 800 training. However, what this book really is about is about living a life that s worth living by following your passion. All it takes is a little dose of madness.

This book isn't without flaws. As it is not an exhaustive biography of Bart Yasso, readers are left with many questions. What happened next? What was Yasso really feeling at that time? Were there more disappointing moments as a runner? We are left yearning for more, to learn more about the person rather than his adventures and misadventures. The fibres of his making. We are given glimpses into his personal life, his personal heroes, but somehow I felt it wanted to know more? Maybe this book really turned me into a fan (one of those), who can never get enough? So it's probably a good thing that Yasso is on Twitter :)

The writing could also use more polishing. It's great that it has a conversationl feel to it, however there are passages that could have been 'enriched' or 'adorned' with more details to transport readers to the exotic locations Yasso ran in (The Arctic AND the Antarctic, to begin with). Some passages could do with a little dramatization, to drag the suspense of a race little further, in th manner of Chris McDougalls 'Born to Run'. Nevertheless, Yasso scores big on the humour. There so many funny moments in th book, and there's the right mx of wit and sarcasm, as well as self-depreciating humour that help tells it well.

Yasso is dubbed "The Mayor of Running", he is known as one of the most dedicated ambassadors to the sport, shaking the hands of thousands of runners and infecting millions around the world withhis passion for running. I hope I get to sit in one of those pre-race pasta party one day and see the iconic man in person. Finally, here's a quote I've printed out and posted on my inspiration board:

"Running may be the connective issue, but the true essence of the sport is a passage to a bigger world. So open the door and run through. Just don't be surprised if you arrive in a place you only dreamed existed."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life on the Run.