Poo1987 Roykaew's Reviews > The Phantom of Manhattan

The Phantom of Manhattan by Frederick Forsyth

Oct 06, 08

Read in October, 2008

Excited reading. A satire and review of world aristocracy in early 20th century. I like the way Forsyth putting in this fiction historical facts and tying his plot believable and thrilling. Though many of the original fans might not feel 'easy' to his style, it's not surprising. It shouldn't be him to be blamed. There sometimes should be a new way of interpretating 'classics', those original texts. What Forsyth has done shows us, or at least me, his mastery of storytelling, vivid imagination and brilliant humour. The most humourous chapter to me is the conversation between Irish priest and something-possibly-might-be God. I read along with a feeling of drowning inside. I lost myself and enjoyed re-reading. The Three Laws of Pleasant Reading Forsyth, which I myself created and submitted, are: first, put aside your personal political view, activity and identity; second, keep your mind not to be disturbed by the outside world while reading; third, and the last, the most important, make sure you can access the language the novel was written. Then, enjoying reading Forsyth is possible. (Oh, never forget that most of Forsyth writtings are in thrilling genre. If you love a sweetie in love story writers, his books are not to be touched.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom of Manhattan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pearl I'm glad, I found some else who liked this. Especially in Thailand! ;)

message 2: by Poo1987 (last edited Oct 18, 2008 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Poo1987 Roykaew Hi! Pearly,

Thanks for your comment. It is actually content to know that there's someone who wants sharing. What do you think of Forsyth's writing style in this book? I think he did his best in conversation. It's really humourous. Also, ending scene is a good one, at least in my view. I am a subject to a torment of his characters, that means, Forsyth succeed 'persuasion' me into his magic, his marvelous gift of storytelling. Do you think so?

Pearl I loved his style of writing in this, it was like original novel by Gaston Leroux, I like the whole 'everyone gets a chance to state their option' style of writing if you get what I mean.

The ending shocked most fans, hence they didn't like it, it shocked me as well, I certainly didn't think Christine was going to die! however I love a good tragedy and liked it.

He is a good author non the less, I've never read any other of his book because I usually don't read the whole 'thriller' genre ;D