Max's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

F 50x66
First of all, I don't have any problems with BDSM or male-dom. I've read a few that were really good. However, this book is just a BDSM version of Twilight. The heroine is totally spineless and stupid (signs a non-disclosure agreement without even reading it!). And the hero was the typical rich, handsome dude, who's supposed to have a "dark" side but this would be the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's kind, considerate, the typical Victorian hero.
The consent in this book is problematic because the dumb heroine enters a BDSM relationship because she loves the hero and would do anything for him. He thinks she knows what she's getting into, but after a while realizes that she is no sub.
The other thing is the writing. Every time the author used "oh my" to express everything from surprise to arousal, I was this close to slamming my poor laptop to the floor. Geez lady, you are an author learn to use more than one expression!
Then she claims Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Ubervilles is a romance love-triangle. NO it was a clever social commentary about the lack of choice and lack of rights for women in the nineteenth century!!!Tess was woman with guts, not some Bella Swan like this heroine.
For once I'd like to read a romance story with a woman with guts. I'd love to read the romance story between Christian and the heroine's headstrong best friend (who, by the way, was the person Christian was initially intrigued with). Now that would be a treat!
I admit, I started the book with huge expectations because of the good reviews. I even thought this would be a well-written erotica for once. But boy was I wrong. Is it true this is just a published version of a Twilight fanfic?
1 like · Likeflag