Jacey's Reviews > Horizon

Horizon by Lois McMaster Bujold

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
Read in January, 2009

The fourth Sharing Knife book in which Dag and Fawn and their new half-Farmer / half-Lakewalker extended family journey back up the river-trail towards Clearcreek and home. On the way Dag goes back to school, learning to use his newly awoken ‘maker’ talents of healing and ‘groundsetting’ (a kind of spirit healing) whilst continuing to try and bridge the cultural divide between Farmer and Lakewalker, leading by example. That gets him into more trouble with the stuffy Lakewalkers, who can’t quite grasp the idea of sharing information with the Farmers they are trying to protect. It’s not a simple journey, of course. They pick up more Farmer and Lakewalker strays on the way and run into a couple of ‘malices’ with varying near-disastrous results before bringing the quartet of stories to a satisfactory conclusion. A delightful book.

It’s refreshing to read a romantic fantasy where the main protagonists are a married couple. Dag and Fawn’s trusting relationship is central to the plot and yet Bujold never lets it become too sweet or tacky. When Fawn’s life is in danger you feel Dag’s absolute, suffocating panic and distress. I’ve said before that Bujold is my current favourite author and this book reinforces that. I avoided starting on the Sharing Knife books because a few people said they were a little disappointing after Chalion and the other Five Gods books, but I found them charming – though I am quite happy with the definite romance aspects of the series. Well worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horizon.