Jacey's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, young-adult
Read in January, 2010

I've left it way too long to write up this book and in the six or seven weeks since I finished it, I've all but forgotten the major plot points, which is an indication of the impression it left on me. Luce is a fallen angel, locked into a 17 year destructive cycle of forbidden love, untimely death the instant she understands what she is and subsequent resurrection. Reborn into the present age, knowing nothing of her past human lives, she's a oddball who ends up at reform school after her boyfriend spontaneously combusts. (I had some questions about the American reform school system - it seemed pretty weird to me with it's voluntary prison kind of vibe, but what do I know?) Despite the fact that he's trying to avoid her she finds Daniel - the love of all her lives, also an angel - and the cycle begins again against a background of southern-swamp, sultry heat, crumbling buildings, inadequate teachers and teen misfits. It turns out that Luce and Daniel's eternal love affair is tied into a good/evil battle involving any number of fallen angels (on both sides) and at least one secret sect. There's an ending, but no real resolution. A sequel is due in September 2010. Not sure I'll be rushing out to buy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.