Aarthi's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Mar 12, 2012

it was ok
Read from March 10 to 17, 2012

Very disappointed with Pollan's writing. Having read his earliest book, A Place of My Own, I had great expectations. Although I am least bit interested in architecture and DIY, Pollan's writing kept me engaged throughout. I think I even added a few quotes from his book on this site. While I understand, that In Defense is not a memoir, I can hardly believe this is written by the same guy who wrote A Place of My Own. The range of references, insights and depth in A Place... was incredible. I was really looking forward to In Defense..., since food and nutrition, as topics, are far more interesting to me than architecture. I skipped Omnivore's Dilemma, because, as a vegetarian, I thought I'd be better off reading a book that recommends eating 'mostly plants'. But honestly, I found nothing new in this book at all. If you have followed, even somewhat disinterestedly, the industrialization of food in America (or the West), there really is nothing new here. There's a bunch of research cited here and there, that could be informative, but honestly, very little that makes the book worth a buy. Pollan is an incredibly talented writer, unfortunately, food writing has become as marketable as food itself, and we seem to have lost a good writer to the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.