Deborah's Reviews > The Maid of Fairbourne Hall

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

It was high time I read a decent romance novel, and Julie Klassen was just the author to choose for my reading. Her book "The Apothecary's Daughter" brought rave reviews. I was not disappointed in reading this little gem of a novel from her, either.

First, I want to tell you that I was struck by the treasure Ms Klassen divulges to us in her Dedication. She has six aunts! I read a comment somewhere in our book world recently by a woman who talked of meeting her aunt for lunch and talking about all sorts of special things including a great deal about books, and how wonderful it had been. How I envied her. To see that Julie Klassen had six aunts to whom she had dedicated a book each, was flooring! Imagine the rich treasures she has to plunder there... This set me off on my research of the her Regency Romance with some real interest.

I was shocked, actually, to find out how much I loved this book. The characters were so well-defined and engaging they were hard to resist. Margaret Macy is a young woman of beauty and depth. I found myself relating to her anxiety being manipulated into a marriage she didn't want, having no financial means of her own, and being forced to leave the security of her mother and home to avoid that marriage.

After having set the tone of her novel, Ms Klassen steadily built a story that was irresistible. The contrast of upstairs characters and downstairs characters was fun to read. And, there were so many moments of near misses and discoveries in the masquerades Margaret had to carry out in the Upchurch mansion, it gave levity and suspense. I fell for Nathaniel Upchurch completely. He's a Mr. Darcyish hero...just a bit more Captain Wentworth in him, who many of you know is my heartthrob in Jane Austen's novels.

All in all, I found "The Maid of Fairbourne Hall" a great reprieve from my standard reading fare. I really liked it more than I'd anticipated. I like Julie Klassen's writing style very much. She's not quite Jane Austen; but, who is? Instead, she's a stand-out author who has a very engaging style of writing; strong character development, romantic but not syrupy, a good story with mystery and intrigue. She made a believer out of me.

I'll be reading Julie Klaussen's books. First, I have to find a copy of "The Apothecary's Daughter!" I'm sure I've missed a good read in
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid of Fairbourne Hall.