Kerrie's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Stephanie Guerra

Apr 01, 12

Read from March 10 to April 01, 2012

As soon as I saw the description for Torn I knew it was something I HAD to read, I instantly thought of the brilliant film Thirteen and many times during the story I was liking it to Thirteen, in many ways they are similar but where as Thirteen was mean't to shock, Torn was just the old tale of falling in with a different crowd.

The story is about Stella your typical good girl, A grade student going through her last year at high school, life for Stella is very routine until Ruby bursts into her world and refuses to let her go, introducing her to the dangerous side of live, skipping school, older boyfriends and drug taking. Initially Stella is completely starstruck by Ruby and doesn't argue with anything that Stella does which ends up alienating her friends but thats ok because she will always have Ruby won't she? Until Ruby meets the mysterious Kenneth (who I instantly took a disliking to) and Stella isn't so important anymore, when she then finds out Kenneth isn't quite who he seems she confronts Ruby who doesn't believe her, leaving Stella completely alienated in the final weeks of term.

Stella was a brilliant thought out character, I warmed to her instantly and found myself rooting for her even when she was being awful to her friends and family, I could completely understand the pull that Ruby had over her.
It took me to the last couple of pages to like Ruby, I found her annoying, brattish and she had no common sense whatsoever, at times i was shouting out loud at how frustrating she was!

Favourite quote from the book: It's a strange moment when you realize someone you care about is a little... off. I felt suddenly protective

I highly recommend this book as a great contemporary read that you won't be able to forget for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.