Vickie's Reviews > Every Which Way But Dead

Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison

Mar 10, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

I was intrigued by the first Hollows book, but the second book took me forever to read. Granted, it was bedtime book fare, only there to ease my body into relaxation in short snippets, but it tended to bore me into sleep rather than me having to tear my tired eyes away.

I gave this 3rd book a try, and I did not find it boring. On the contrary, I found it infuriating. I found it crazy to think that the events of this book occurred in such a short time, Rachel being a witch or not. I think it's also infuriating the way Rachel treats Ivy. I admit to being a bit biased in regards to Ivy, but the way Rachel pushes her away and then tries to fix it with platitudes and apologies aggravates me. Mixed signals galore. Despite the fact that this is actually very true to life, and it makes Rachel more realistic as a character, it also aggravates me and hardens my heart against her. Also, as a character, she was very reactive in this book. Other than the part where she attempts to part herself from Al, she is basically kidnapped and manipulated and tricked at every turn. She regains some semblance of control from recognizing the areas in which she is being used, but that still doesn't seem to stop everyone from doing it. And she tends to passive-aggressively lash out at Ivy because no one else allows her to safely.

I might go to the 4th book, because being angry is still better than being bored, but it will probably be a while. P.S. I respect Kisten but...
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Which Way But Dead.