Alyssa's Reviews > Angel

Angel by L.A. Weatherly

Apr 05, 12

liked it
bookshelves: contemp-romance, clean-romance, paranormal, pnr, ya
Read from March 25 to April 06, 2012 — I own a copy

This book felt like a 2.5 stars generously rounded to 3 stars read for me. On the positive side, It has a good plot about a couple of teenagers set out to stop evil parasite-like angels from taking over the world.

Other than the plot, the rest of this book just did not work for me because I could not connect with the two main characters. I did not find them interesting enough to feel emotionally invested in their story and so their romance (which was a big component of the story) just felt bland.

Another major criticism I have of this book is the angel concept which I felt was very underdeveloped to the point where you could substitute the word 'angel' with 'alien' and it would not have made a difference to the story. Other than a couple of angel names such as "Raziel", the author did not offer her spin on angel mythology or give any background to the angel world. At 512 pages long, this book regrettable ended up being a long and boring read for me.

Better angel books to read are Angelfall and Unearthly (YA romance).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

message 1: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Ooh! This was the first YA angel book I read. I'm curious to know your thoughts!

Alyssa How would you compare this to Unearthly? For me, Unearthly was the first YA angel book I read, followed by Angelfall, so my benchmark is pretty high. I'm halfway through this, but I feel like it's lacking that addictive quality I look for in romance (compared to Unearthly), and plotwise, it doesn't have that dark, captivating pull that I felt with Angelfall. Not sure about the heroine either, she's ok so far, but nothing remarkable yet. The story is quite interesting so far, but I wish there was mote chemistry between the two leads. I ask for too much :)

message 3: by Kay (last edited Mar 27, 2012 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Hm, I think out of the three, this one was the weakest but not by much. The romance wasn't as well developed as Unearthly, and Angelfall was much darker, more apocalyptic. That being said, though, this book does have its own charm. I think what attracted me to this book was that it was (1) my first angel book, and (2) the first time I've read a book with angels as the bad guys. I liked the depiction of angels as completely (well, almost) antagonistic creatures. In this book, angels felt more like parasites or predators, a bit more animal than human. And the way humans respond to some of these angels is a bit, well, twisted.

Alyssa I agree with your assessment of the parasite-like angels in this book, it's an interesting premise and definitely part of the appeal of this book. Are you planning to read book 2? I just had a look and its 709 pages long, must be action-packed!

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Oh wow, 709 pages? That is long. I probably will read it, but after I get through some other books on my to-read list. Ah, too many books and so little time!

Alyssa Kay wrote: " Ah, too many books and so little time!"

ditto!