Trisha's Reviews > Oscar and Lucinda

Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: classics, australian-authors, award-winners
Read from June 18 to July 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Took me a good while to finish this one, as it's quite long and I do find you have to pay close attention at the times when you're distracted from reading. ;) I am currently on holidays in a bit of a tropical paradise so I guess you could call that a distraction! Anyway, I totally loved this book. It got off to a bit of a slow start but soon enough I found myself intrigued by the quirky characters, sympathetic to their experiences and frustrated/exhilarated on their behalf. The book had me laughing out loud even at not so happy moments, just because of the wording, the silly little similes, metaphors and alliterations (which were still clever of course), and all that.

It was interesting how one single character was seen by other people - and other people saw them quite differently - but also how they saw themselves. It was almost like you were reading about many different people due to the viewpoints of the other characters interacting with them. The way the story unfolded was definitely like a family memoir but also quite an historical work. And I can't believe how it ended! I wasn't expecting that, nor hoping for it I suppose. ;) It just went to show though, how in the blink of an eye (well, okay, a bit more slowly than that) a man can make one decision that ruins his life and, in fact, ends it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oscar and Lucinda.