Tara's Reviews > Switched

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: kindle, young-adult, trolls
Read from July 20 to 22, 2012

Review:

When I downloaded this, it was pretty much because I’d heard some good things, and it was down to a bargain 20p on the Kindle Store. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a good deal. As it turns out, this was definitely a good deal, as though it’s not one of my favourite reads this year so far, it was an enjoyable one.

The storyline actually surprised me, and wasn’t what I was expecting after reading the synopsis. For one thing, I never thought I’d enjoy reading about trolls in any context other than a Lord-of-the-Rings-ish one. I liked the fact that Amanda Hocking has managed to put her own twist on the idea of trolls, making them somewhat more like fey, but almost more subtle.

I also liked the idea of the politics based on ability, and the blood supremacy and how actually, both things were gradually destroying the traditional Trylle way of life.

My favourite character in this one had to be Finn, not least because he seemed the most ‘real’. He was mature, and really tried to put duty over personal feelings. Wendy sort of annoyed me sometimes, one minute she seems to love the Forening way of life, then she hates it, and she doesn’t like her home life, or the new home she has – basically, she seemed whiny and indecisive. And the decisions she did make were often fairly selfish and/or stupid. I get that she had a lot to take in, but this was one of my issues with the book.

Another was that I felt as a reader I didn’t see enough of Forening, and I didn’t understand why the Trylle were warring and why they were still important in the running of the world. I might have missed a point, but that was just my feeling.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, and given the low price of the book, it’s fantastic – especially as the rest of the series is similarly priced! It was an easy read, and whilst I wasn’t dazzled, I enjoyed this.

Overall rating: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Originality: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
My Enjoyment: 3.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.