Crystal's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Oct 01, 07

bookshelves: fiction, books-i-didn-t-enjoy
Recommended for: who like Bible stories retold with a flair of creative license

I didn't like this book. I started it years ago, and got partly through it, but put it down and didn't get back to it for years later. That alone should say a lot.
the book tries to creatively retell the story of Jacob and his family from the Bible. the author for the most part sticks with the basics from the Bible narrative, but builds on top of it a bold, earthy, imaginative story. I give her credit for making a living, breathing story out of a story that could become inhumane through its familiarity.
However, I don't think that the story is enjoyable. there's a dark dirtiness to the book's mood, some sense that the world, especially the men in it, is bad and out to get the women. Maybe the ending improves on that. I gave up before I was 3/4 through the book. I just didn't enjoy it enough to make finishing it, even after picking it up after all this time, enjoyable. I'd rather stick with the story the way the Bible tells it, and leave the sex and pagan religion details in Diamont's own imagination.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.