Melinda's Reviews > Crewel World

Mar 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed-reading, mmbc, mystery, series-1
Read from February 16 to March 19, 2012

This author and story line have potential, but the story was a little weak or "fluffy". The action was a bit slow and the investigation was light. Most of the evidence came from witness testimony which everyone was willing to share...eventually. There was no real sleuthing, mostly pestering questions and a little stumbling over clues. I hope that as the series progresses the main character will become more bold and practiced in her sleuthing skills. I liked the characters, some of which I liked to dislike, and the motivation was there.

I was just getting connected with Margot when she was murdered about a third of the way into the story. Betsy was more of a blown by the wind, spontaneous character and harder to connect with. After the murder came a time of grieving. Finally the investigation happens in the last third of the book. Betsy at this point has become more grounded as she invests herself in the needlework shop, Crewel World.

Language: There are some instances of God's name being taken in vain, but only a few. It was mild.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel World.

03/09/2012 page 273