Kara's Reviews > Eyes of Justice

Read from April 02 to 06, 2012

Eyes of Justice by Lis Wiehl with April Henry
Review by Kara Grant
Minor Spoilers

The Triple Threat Club has solved intense murder mysteries before…but this time it's personal.
Cassidy, Allison, and Nicole fight for justice every day-Cassidy as a crime reporter, Nicole as an FBI agent, and Allison as a federal prosecutor. Together they're a Triple Threat to be reckoned with.
But when a ruthless murderer kills one of their number-and the authorities seem intent on keeping them out of the investigation of the crime-their desire for justice goes into overdrive. They find an unexpected ally in a quirky private investigator named Ophelia whose methods confound the wise.
Yet just when it seems police have the killer in custody and justice is within sight, he somehow strikes again. Not knowing whom to trust, the team engage in a deadly game of cat-and-mouse with the killer. Nothing can be taken at face value…and nothing will ever be the same.
A riveting Triple Threat mystery that will leave readers shocked and satisfied (Amazon.com).

My Review
This is not your typical crime novel. It grabs you from the first chapter and pulls you in. The Triple Threat friends are about to have a bad day. It starts when one of them receives a phone call about The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) and a possible cover up they implemented. The person who receives the phone call promises to meet the caller at her home. She is never heard from again. The Triple Threat are down to two friends, will they find justice for their friend’s murder before it’s too late?

My favorite characters in this story were Judge Fanconi who sentences the first suspect with an impossibly high bail, a kind bartender who gives free drinks and a free dessert to the two friends when he learns the third has been murdered, and Ophelia. Ophelia helps the two friends investigate, is highly intelligent but possesses little knowledge of social skills, and sacrifices her own safety to help out. I was very satisfied that even though this is a police book, there was no profanity in it.

What I didn’t like about the story:
Ophelia’s investigation leads her to a strip club in the story. There isn’t anything offensive described, but it’s an uncomfortable scene.
The funeral scene in the story starts out classy and respectful, but then something disturbing takes place and it adds drama to an already tense plot. It struck me as ridiculous and unnecessary.
There isn’t any profanity in the story, but many people are killed. Several are shot, one gets his throat cut, one is stabbed and strangled.
Since the police in charge of the investigation are not trusted in the story (one is a rookie and fails to do the job efficiently, one is untrustworthy for specific reasons, and they don’t want the two women poking around), it gets to the point where the two friends resort to deceiving one eye witness and the investigating detectives in order to protect one another. It does a great job of complicating the story, but it felt hypocritical and farfetched.

What the reader will read about in detail pertaining to law enforcement:
What’s it like to interview a suspect
How to treat a crime scene
What happens in an autopsy
How to analyze fingerprints
What it’s like to visit someone in jail
What it’s like to investigate a bank robbery
How reporters are critiqued by viewers

There are several references to prayer, the funeral takes place in a church, there are references to faith in God, Psalm 27 is used as a comforting scripture, the Lord ’s Prayer is spoken at the funeral, one of the friends wears a cross around her neck, and Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 is spoken at the funeral.

Each of the three friends are strong, intelligent, independent and love their jobs. However they each endure hardship that causes them to reflect on their beliefs. One of them suffers a miscarriage, one survives breast cancer and one breaks out of an abusive relationship with a police officer.

I enjoyed reading how Ophelia deals with communicating with others and her diligence investigating the situation. I was amazed by how smooth the writing is, how each chapter ends with another surprising clue, and how much these women love one another. Both ladies analyze the type of friend they were to their deceased member and deal with their grief throughout the story. Despite their knowledge of the law and how experienced they are at crimes, the murder of their friend makes their perspective personal and they begin to appreciate angles they didn’t consider before. It was interesting to see what investigations are like CSI style and I enjoyed the pace of the story. There is considerable violence in the plot, but other than the funeral scene it was appropriate and done well. There is a mixture of sadness, suspense, and faith well blended in this book that will keep the reader’s interest until the last page. Feel free to visit these websites to find out more about this fabulous writing duo: http://www.liswiehlbooks.com/ and http://aprilhenrymysteries.com/

I want to thank Booksneeze and Thomas Nelson for the hardcover review copy they provided. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyes of Justice.