Aili's Reviews > No One Belongs Here More Than You

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July

Aug 03, 08

Read in July, 2008

I really enjoyed You, Me, and Everyone We Know, and I also enjoyed the Miranda July stories I've read in the New Yorker, so I was really eager to read this book. Perhaps too eager. Turns out my favorite story was the one I had already read (in the New Yorker). D'oh.

I'm not a short story reader generally, so when presented with a book of short stories I generally plow through them from beginning to end, skipping none. Because so many of these stories are very short and very personal (lots of inside-the-head neuroticism, little action), I felt like I didn't get to connect with any actual "characters"; they all just ended up being facets of the author. I'm sure that was the intent, but since I enjoy more plot- and narrative-based storytelling, I found it tiring. I almost gave up halfway through the book, but pushed on; fortunately the stories in the second half are "meatier" and not as relentlessly depressing as those in the first half.

(I did, however, enjoy "This Person," which was very very short and very, I dunno, postmodern.)

Goodreads user Afshi has already reviewed this book and she says things better than I just did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Belongs Here More Than You.