Steve Woods's Reviews > Courage After Fire: Coping Strategies for Troops Returning from Iraq and Afghanistan and Their Families

Courage After Fire by Keith Armstrong

May 27, 13

bookshelves: other-wars, ptsd
Read from March 09, 2012 to May 28, 2013

This is not an academic work, or one full of pop psychology it is a very down to earth practical read for veterans and those they live with. It pinpoints accurately the impacts of combat on the thinking and behaviour of those who experience it and provides some very pragmatic ways of dealing with the difficulties that arise as a result. It is written from an American viewpoint with particular reference to Afghanistan and Iraq but it certainly has application for combat veterans coming home from any conflict.

The approaches outlined here make sense to me, some of them I worked out for myself (with variations) others I have come across in some form in other places. Hospitals (at least in Australia) dealing with returning combat veterans don't offer very much generally. Our veterans are pretty much left to their own devices to work it out. Books like this one are invaluable tools for those trying to find their way through the minefield of emotions, and adjustments that will always be part of "coming home". This is a book I can happily recommend as a starting point for any veteran having difficulties on their return. A good piece of useful work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courage After Fire.

05/27/2013 marked as: read