Tavia's Reviews > Crossed

Mar 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, ya
Read from March 09 to 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nelson Yikes, two stars. I thought the first book had problems, but I still liked it and wanted to pick up the second one. Is it worth it?

Tavia I wasn't a huge fan of the first one (three stars) because I thought it was a little too Twilight-y and not enough Hunger Games-y. I wanted more world-building and less mooning around about boys. The second doesn't get much deeper and I felt like I should have had a bigger picture as to what was going on by book 2 of 3. I do think it's worth a read if you don't go in with high expectations.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nelson Thanks Tavia! I think I will pick it up because I'm still curious and mildly interested in the characters. I am completely with you on the Twilight feel. (I'm not a huge fan of Twilight. As in I didn't even pick up the third book because my stomach just couldn't take it.) At this point in my life the mooning for boys just drives me crazy. I also like a stronger role model (i.e. Katniss) for my daughters!

I can't remember, did you read Divergent? I'm excited for book 2 in that series. I didn't like it as much as Hunger Games, but it was better than Matched.

Speaking of all this, did you let Finona read Hunger Games? For the past few years I told Julia no, but I finally caved. She is liking it so far, and said she isn't scared. I'm hoping to talk to her a lot about it, but the whole premise still makes me squeamish myself.

Tavia I have read Divergent and agree with you - not as good as HG, but definitely better than Matched. I think I have the second book on pre-order already. :)

I did let Fiona read Hunger Games (probably about 6 months ago, I think?) because she begged and begged and begged! I was nervous about the violence and thought she might be scared by some of the imagery, but she absolutely loved it. I'm pretty sure she's read the entire series at least three times.

Have you read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami? It's the same premise as Hunger Games, but with a male protagonist in a North Korea-like setting.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nelson It makes me feel better that Fiona read Hunger Games and is still sleeping at night, and even going back for more.

I haven't read Battle Royale. I'll put it on my list!