Susan Bigelow's Reviews > Erekos

Erekos by A.M. Tuomala

Mar 09, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I absolutely loved this book. On the surface, it's the story of Achane, a swamp witch who brings her sister back to life as a zombi, but it's so much more than that as well. The plot encompasses a bitter war between two nations, and the emergence of a third people on the borderlands. The march of history is clearly at work here. It also has to do with a family of gods, who meddle with humans throughout the story.

Perhaps the thing I loved best was the wide sweep of the world, and the lush descriptions. This book is a feast for the literary-hungry soul. We simply don't get enough high-quality literary fantasy, and this book is a welcome change. A.M. Tuomala's deft mastery of language vividly sets the scene and captures the essence of the well-drawn, complex characters.

It also feels like a very American fantasy. There are so many American themes here: colonization, conquest, assimilation, and becoming something new. The setting felt American, too: steamboats on a wide river, wooded mountains full of coal mines, borderlands and an ancient indigenous culture below the surface, all but lost now.

Erekos breaks a lot of rules: the story starts slowly and challenges the reader to follow along. I actually think this is a strength of the work in the end, however, as the payoff becomes that much more satisfying. This is a book that I know will be rattling around in my head for a long time to come. If you try this book, promise me you'll stay with it. I did, and it was absolutely worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erekos.