Jill's Reviews > A Lady's Revenge

3820197
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance-european, 2012-debuts
Read in March, 2012

Cora deBeau has been captured, isolated and tortured for eleven days in a French dungeon by Valere, a French spy and supporter of Napoleon. Cora is an English spy, aka the Raven, working for the Nexus, a group of international spies working against the French. Sent on a mission to save the Raven, are two other Nexus spies, Guy Trevelyan, Earl of Helsford and Ethan, Viscount Danforth.

For three years Cora has been working in France. Her mission given to her by Somerton, head of the Nexus, was to establish that Valere was responsible for the disappearance of six British ships and also confirm that there is a British mole supplying Valere with secret information. For Cora, there's only one way to get to Valere and that's by seduction.

There's a lot happening here in this story. Cora is hell-bent on revenge against the French assassin who murdered her parents. Hence, her desire to become a spy for the Nexus against the French and track down her parents' killer. As Cora works at finding her way back emotionally, psychologically and physically from the tortures meted out by Valere, Guy has to keep her safe and prove that she is desirable regardless of the scars and her sexual past. Valere, obsessed with Cora, is intent on tracking her down.

Intelligently written with lovely prose, and an involved but not complicated plot. With some sensual and beautiful love scenes, A Lady's Revenge is an impressive novel. Those who read historical romance, and particularly historical spy stories, will enjoy this.

Steam: 3.5

ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks (Casblanca) via NetGalley

13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady's Revenge.

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Looking forward to your review! I was going to request it but I'm a bit 'spied' out at the moment so I didn't think I wanted to read it for review, just pleasure ....

message 2: by Jill (last edited Mar 09, 2012 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lisa wrote: "Looking forward to your review! I was going to request it but I'm a bit 'spied' out at the moment so I didn't think I wanted to read it for review, just pleasure ...."

Hi Lisa, can't blame you. I'm a little 'booked' out atm as well! But this looks very promising so far.

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Good, I want to read it but not 'have' to write a review :) I'm taking a mini break from reviewing as April is pretty quiet on the review side for me

Jill Hi Mary Elizabeth, it's a solid 4 stars. Very well-written and if you like Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady series, then you will enjoy this I think.

When I give 4 stars, it's usually my default rating. Which means I consider the book well-written, enjoyable and should have been published. Though not that outstanding imo that I should recommend it. (Otherwise I'd be recommending books all the time). And because I read so much, a 4-star is unlikely to get a re-read. It does mean that anyone who enjoys the genre, like this one for example is HR, then it's definitely worth reading.

My 4.5 stars, is a book that I'll definitely recommend to anyone who'll listen. It just has that little bit extra or something different in the writing to set it apart.

3 stars - okay ]
3.5 stars - good] But no recommendation.

< 3 stars - speaks for itself. And unless it's a debut novel, I'll not write a review.

Anytime I ever come across one that I really think you'd enjoy, I'll pass on a recommendation. And if you could do the same ME, I'd appreciate it.

Bottom line: This is definitely worth reading for those who enjoy historical romance and particularly historical spy stories.

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa You know Jill, that's sort of how I review too :) I feel like I give alot of four stars but like you said, it is because they were enjoyable and should have been published :) It has to make my cry or have a extra little sparkle to get the 4.5 or 5 star rating.

message 6: by Jill (last edited Mar 10, 2012 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "you poor thing !! sorry I made you explain your whole rating system to me LOL but ok now I can see how you categorize book :) this one has a gr8 cover but once I read the blurb I was not captivated..."

No problem, ME! It's just that we all have different ways to rate a book.

You'll almost never see a 5-star rating, nor a 1-star from me. The occasional 4.5 star.
Mostly 3.5 and 4-stars.

My ratings reflect that I pretty much choose better books to read, rather than I'm too soft on the 1-3 star books. Ye ken?

Jill Lisa wrote: "You know Jill, that's sort of how I review too :) I feel like I give alot of four stars but like you said, it is because they were enjoyable and should have been published :) It has to make my cry..."

@ Lisa
Yes, me too Lisa. I give a lot of 4 stars. But that reflects that I'm reading a book that's jumped through enough (editing/publishing) hoops that a lot of problems have been ironed out before I ever read it.

message 8: by Jill (last edited Mar 10, 2012 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "yeah I ken ;) but what's with the sudden Scottish words ? LOL"

Reading Outlander atm!

message 9: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Looks good Jilly. Awaiting for your thoughts in this one.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "yeah I ken ;) but what's with the sudden Scottish words ? LOL I never rate a book to say it was worth being published, I guess if it does not make me angry / go WTH? then why not you know... and as..."

Good to know ME!
Your 4 star is more my 4.5 star.
And your 4.5 is probably my 4.5-5 star read.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wendy wrote: "Looks good Jilly. Awaiting for your thoughts in this one."

Thanks Wen, I'll post a review when I thaw out! Lol!

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla Another great review Jill!

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Karla!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Looks like a good book. Nice review, Jill.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thankyou Kristen!

message 16: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Great review Jill....I don't normally read much HR but after reading your review I am now interested ☺

Gemma Yay! I won this in a giveaway, now I can't wait for it to arrive so I can read it.

message 18: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Gemma wrote: "Yay! I won this in a giveaway, now I can't wait for it to arrive so I can read it."

Well done Gemma....hope you enjoy it ☺

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Dee
Thanks Dee. Hope you enjoy it.

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Gemma wrote: "Yay! I won this in a giveaway, now I can't wait for it to arrive so I can read it."

@ Gemma
Congratulations! Look forward to your rating/review, Gemma.